Thursday, July 4, 2013

10 days and then onward!

This triathlon is happening in 10 days.  I have continued to train but not like I had wanted to.  There is a part of me that thinks, "am I going to be able to finish this?"  I haven't swam in open water in 12?, 13?...many years.  I have ridden my bike around the park and was really glad I did.  There are a LOT of hills!  I still can't ran 3 miles non-stop but that's ok, walking is allowed.  So, I'm telling myself I'm just gonna go for it. 

A few weeks ago I was out walking/jogging with my dog, very early in the morning before work.  I was thinking about life and trying to get into shape for this race and the Bible verse below came into my head:
"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us."
Now, I'm pretty sure the writer of Hebrews did not write this with the intent of saying of "hey you in 2013, get those workouts in!"  But perhaps he understood the bigger picture of the human condition, where we lose sight of ourselves and what God wants for our lives.  We get lost in the details and frustrations now just like they did then. 
This triathlon is more than just "hey, I want to do a triathlon" but more about trying to take better care of myself and my aging body.  And, about getting focused on what is important in my life and laying aside the "weights" that keep me from those things.  The next 10 days will come and go, as will the race.  I will still need to keep moving forward, with patience, toward the bigger goal. 

1 comment:

  1. Brenda, a most beautiful writing of such depth, I forgot to breathe while reading it and taking it in.
    Your life is such a torch of light for so many of us. Thank you for your encouraging model.

    ReplyDelete